Story Submission Guidelines
Kiwanis International publications seek a variety of story ideas from Kiwanis-family clubs and their members worldwide. Of interest are inspiring stories of Kiwanis’ life-changing service, as well as articles about innovations, new ideas and fresh approaches that can help other Kiwanis-family clubs in these key areas:
- Membership growth
Share Your Story
To submit your Kiwanis-family story to Kiwanis International, simply e-mail the information to ShareYourStory@kiwanis.org. Send a summary or be as detailed as you like. Attach pictures and include links to other media.
- Give the basic information: What inspired the project? Why was it selected? What need did it fill? What barriers were overcome and how? Who participated? How many volunteers are needed to ensure success? What were the key elements to success? What makes this project different/special? What advice would you give to other clubs before they try a similar project?
- If it’s a fundraiser: How much money was spent to operate the project and what was the project’s net profit? If sponsors were involved, how were they acknowledged? How was the fundraiser promoted?
- If it’s a service project: What did recipients of your service say about the project? Describe any interesting anecdotes that show how the recipient(s) of your service, the public, officials or Kiwanians reacted to the project.
- If it’s a membership-growth campaign: What was your club’s membership count before and after the campaign? How is your club sustaining its success?
- If it’s a profile of a fascinating Kiwanis-family member: What is the member’s current fascinating career, profession, hobby or service? How and when did he/she become involved in this field? Rather than a list of his/her awards, what is this person doing to deserve such awards?
- Provide great “action” photographs.
Keep in mind:
- Articles are selected to show the good things Kiwanis clubs do and to give other clubs ideas they can use in their communities.
- Kiwanis International publications cannot be used to solicit other clubs or members’ participation in another club’s service or fundraising efforts.
- Kiwanis International generally does not publish stories such as club anniversaries, local awards and death notices.
- Because of the number of story submissions it receives, Kiwanis cannot advise if, when or how a story will appear. However, each submission is reviewed, considered and appreciated.
Letters to the Editor
KIWANIS magazine’s letters-to-the-editor section is a forum for Kiwanis-family discussions. Letters should address subjects from recently published KIWANIS magazines. KIWANIS magazine also reviews posts shared across the following online networks for Letters to the Editor content:
Letters must be brief: 100 words or less. The writer’s name, club affiliation (if applicable) and telephone number or e-mail address must accompany the letter. KIWANIS magazine does not publish anonymous letters. A portrait-style photo is requested. Published letters may be edited for space and style.
Kiwanis International requires quality color photographs. Candid shots—persons doing things—are best.
All photographs submitted become the property of Kiwanis International and will not be returned.
When submitting photos of people who have received Kiwanis assistance, you must obtain publication permission.
To be included in KIWANIS magazine, electronic images must be in their original format, of at least 4-inches by 5-inches with a resolution of 300 dpi or higher. Electronic images may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with details of the story. Do not embed photos in Word or e-mail documents; send as attached jpg, tif or similar image format.
Newspaper clippings and websites
Newspaper clippings and websites can help tremendously to support the development of a Kiwanis-family story; so, submit copies of any printed publicity and URL addresses of pertinent websites. Your local newspaper also may provide photos at no charge or a nominal fee. Also, let us know if any radio or television coverage was used to promote a project or event and if any audio or video is available for Kiwanis use.
You may submit information and photographs via e-mail (email@example.com) or by mail to KIWANIS Magazine, 3636 Woodview Trace, Indianapolis, IN 46268 USA.
Kiwanis International sincerely appreciates reading about your successes, as will your fellow Kiwanians. Please include your home and business phone numbers on any materials sent to the magazine.